Updated for the 2023-2024 season.
A note on the HCR 3.0. You must create a Spordle ACCOUNT and LINK your player(s) PROFILE(S) in order to register them. If you are VOLUNTEERING, you must also LINK your OWN PROFILE to your spordle ACCOUNT. HCR ACCOUNT HELP
- Having trouble creating an HCR 3.0 account or profile? Click HERE.
Affiliation Chart - Updated 2023-24
Bank Account Letter
MEIFHA Budget Template (2023-2024)
Fair Play Contracts
First Aid Kits
Hockey Canada Forms (Downloads and Resources)
Female Hockey Regulation F2.11 Game Protocol and Regulation Two - Competition
GrayJay Tips Creating team rosters 2023/2024: This is being done for you by Web Admin-Marie Menard
Green Armband Initiative DWMHA
Hockey Canada Sanctioning Guidelines
Hockey Nova Scotia
Selling Ice 2023-2024
Injuries & Emergencies
Jersey Care and Keeping
Levels of Play
MEIFHA Policies and Procedures Manual
NS Female Hockey League
Permits will be issued in the HCR. Stay tuned for more information coming soon!
Rink Protocols & Policies
Seasonal Structure Chart - 2023 HNS Seasonal Structure Chart
Subscribe to Schedules
|Coach & Managers’ Reference
Choose a Team Manager:
The Team Manager is selected by the Coach based on experience, leadership ability and fit with the coaching team and the parent group. The Manager works with the coaches to appoint parents to other positions such as team Treasurer, Fundraising Coordinator, etc.. The Manager is the first person any team parent approaches with any team or player concerns. The Manager will then communicate those concerns to the coaching staff. Parents should not contact the coaches directly regarding team concerns, unless the safety of players is at stake.
- Review the Coach/Manager Duties & Responsibilities & the MEIFHA Policies & Procedures posted on MEIFHA GrayJay©
- Ensure you have an HCR 3.0 account and an HCR profile. Linking your account to your profile as a member is the first step to seeing your qualifications. You will need this to acquire Travel & Exhibiton permits once the system is ready to be used for this purpose. Side note, your official roster must be complete in order to obtain access to permits in the HCR. Please note, until the new HCR is set-up for permits, click PERMIT REQUESTS and follow the instructions given.
- Email email@example.com to get your username and password to access your team GrayJay site.
- Submit your Hockey ID, birth date and your desired published contact info for all team staff to be rostered officially with Hockey NS LINK TO ROSTERING FORM 2023
- Request your email be added to the Ice Distribution list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Work with your coaching staff to find a Treasurer role
- Set-up an Account Letter
- How to email your team from GrayJay - information pending
- Upload your roster to GrayJay
Team Staff Meeting (Coaches, Manager & Treasurer):
- Discuss tournament intentions & desire for extra practice ice or gym time
- Discuss team equipment requirements (coaching supplies, first-aid kit (Who will have this at the rink for every practice or game?), etc..
- Develop an Emergency Action Plan
- Devise a communication plan with coaches & parents (typically email addresses, perhaps a Team Management App such Team Snap, Team App, etc.)
- Rough out a budget (MEIFHA Budget Template & Policy #20.0)
- Determine the parental contribution required
- Discuss Team Rules & Expectations
- Discuss team clothing requirements (socks/name bars/ team apparel expectations)
- Schedule & plan the agenda for the Team Meeting
Team Meeting (All Team Staff & Parents):
- Establish Team Rules & Expectations
- Initiate the Team Communication Plan
- Provide a team contact list to parents (with their approval) or include info in your App, if you choose to use one
- Discuss & Approve Tournament & extra practice plans. PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT book hotels for Provincial Tournaments. HNS is booking rooms for all qualifying teams, so individual bookings interfere with this process. Thank you from HNS and the Female Council.
- Discuss & Approve the Team Budget
- Discuss & Approve Fundraising plans. Please see Policy #20.0 of the MEIFHA Policy & Procedures Manuel.
Collect Forms & Parental Contributions:
And seek other volunteers such as:
- Apparel Coordinator (short-term, start of season only, may not be required due to online order form)
- Female Dressing Room Chaperones or Den Mothers (4-6)
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Ice Coordinator - See Procedures for Selling Ice 2023-2024
- Jersey Carriers - MEIFHA recemmends two, Manager arranges jersey pick-up and return Jersey Return Checklist. It should be clearly communicated to all team members that jerseys are to be washed regularly and HUNG TO DRY as the dryer will remove the name bar letters and may melt bars onto the jersey which will forfeit deposit cheques.
- Seamstress/ Volunteer for sewing on name & sponsor bars, 'C's & 'A's (loose zigzag or by hand only please) Jersey Care & Keeping.
Team Safety Rep - Safety Rep Training Module
Hockey associations, leagues, programs and teams must assign an individual who will be the Safety Rep responsible for ensuring that all updated and relevant information is passed on to those within their hockey association, league, program, or team. The Safety Rep’s roles and responsibilities this season include but are not limited to:
***Educating your hockey association, league, program, or team on the guidelines outlined by HNS and working collaboratively with facilities to ensure that your hockey association, league, program, or team has an understanding about each facility’s unique protocols and guidelines.
Hockey Nova Scotia latest updates on Restrictions link
Things to Know
|Certification of Coaches and Volunteers:
Do I have a valid CRC and VSC?
- CRCs and VSCs are acceptable to be shared with HNS if completed anytime within the last 6 months. CRC and VSC are valid for 3 years, once recorded in the HCR 3.0 (formerly ehockey) database, so check your profile.
How do I obtain a CRC and VSC?
- CRC (applicable to Safety Reps only): Create an account and request a check through myBackCheck.com
- CRC ONLY option in mybackcheck: Applicant Paid-Canadian Criminal Record Check
- CRC and VSC (coach/trainer/on-ice helper/manager/chaperone): Contact the Risk Management Coordinator (email@example.com) and request an invitation.
- Please do not do both the CRC and VSC at different times as you will be charged twice.
- CRC with VSC option in mybackcheck: Applicant Paid-Canadian Criminal Record Check w Local Police Info
- For in-person checks at local RCMP offices, here is a letter from HNS requesting the CRC and VSC: Click here.
I have a completed CRC and VSC, who should I give it to and how?
- Sharing checks from mybackcheck: SHARE DROPDOWN: Metro East Inferno Female Hockey Club - Headquarters
- Physical copy: Contact Risk Management Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- NOTE: Do NOT share with HNS through mybackcheck as they will not be able to access it.
- Remember: Completed CRC (and VSC) can be shared with various groups that you volunteer with.
Questions? Contact MEIFHA Risk Management Coordinator: Amanda Hall email@example.com
|Coaching Staff Role Definitions:
- Parent Helper: Someone who is listed on the official team roster and is used for assistance with the Two Deep Policy in the dressing room before and after games. Parent Helpers require the Respect in Sport program and a Criminal Record Check (with the Vulnerable Sector Check)
- On-Ice Volunteer: Someone who only assists on-ice during practices. These people require all the same qualifications as any other coach on the team. It is recommended to list them as an assistant coach in case they are required on the bench at some time. Registered players that help with younger age groups on the ice can do so through our On-Ice Helper Policy. These players are not required to be on the team list of the team they help out with. However, they are not permitted on the bench during games.
- Bench staff must be at least 16 years of age. To be on the bench, they would require Respect in Sport Coach Level and HU-Safety if required for the level they are on the bench.
- Trainers: Trainers are not permitted on the ice for practice other than to tend to an injured player. Teams may list more than one (1) trainer although only one (1) trainer is permitted on the bench in any game.
|Hosting Exhibition Games:
- Managers assist coaching staff in arranging exhibition games. If you are new to the process, you may reach out to a coordinator for advise, but games are arranged between teams and NOT by our ice coordinator.
- Arrangement of extra ice should be made directly through the rinks. You can also request ice from the MEIFHA Ice Coordinator HOWEVER we strongly encourage use of existing assigned practice times, accepting ice offered through the MEIFHA Ice Distribution email list or working directly with the rinks. Requests for ice from MEIFHA must be completed a miniumum of 3 weeks in advance through the EXHIBITION GAME FORM as 2 weeks notice is required for assignment of officials. DO NOT EMAIL REQUESTS TO THE ICE COORDINATOR.
- Once you have an ice-time, location and teams are set, complete the following EXHIBITION GAME FORM to request the game be uploaded to GrayJay. Again, DO NOT EMAIL this information.
- Once a game appears in GrayJay, Pete will be able to assign officials (Referee, Linesmen & Timekeeper) for HOME exhibition games. You should contact Referee in Chief: Pete Boutin through email firstname.lastname@example.org and request your officals, to make sure he is aware of the added game. Include the game number (from GrayJay), time, location and your team name including division. (A minimum of 2 weeks notice is required from upload of games to GrayJay)
- Managers must apply for Exhibition Game Permits through HCR 3.0, ensure the permit number is written on the game sheet (if you use one) or input into GrayJay where possible.
- Have cash ready to pay the officials and timekeepers. Peter will advise you of costs. HNS Officiating Rates (not yet published for 2023-2024)
- All Manager(s), Treasurer, Coaches, On-Ice Helpers, Safety Reps & Dressing Room Monitors must be submitted to the Association as part of the process of creating your official Team Roster. A link to a Google Form has been circulated and may be requested from email@example.com. Please include HOCKEY CANADA ID NUMBERS whenever possible. Volunteers & Coaches can find their Hockey ID numbers in their HCR 3.0 profiles. Don't forget, HCR spordle accounts must be linked to your HCR profiles, in order to view qualifications and register for courses. See help links under coach/volunteer certifications above.
- Submissions for rostering should be completed ASAP with a deadline of October 31st.
- Obtain your newly updated Official Team Roster from the Registrar
- Confirm that all coaches, volunteer staff & parents have their certifcation up to date and filed with HNS by December 1st, 2023 (including yourself). Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- MEIFHA will cover the cost of insurance for a limited number of staff members per team. Additional staff insurance will be charged to team bills. The going insurance rate per volunteer/player in 2023-34 is $73.23.
U11 + MEI covers 4 coaches per team
U9 MEI covers 6 coaches per team
1 Manager per team
4-6 Chaperones per team
Above and beyond is covered by team budget.
Who requires insurance?
All on-ice staff and off-ice staff that are near players
*excluded, and not needing insurance are safety reps and any other volunteers that aren’t in contact with players
|Rink Protocols & Policies
Please take note that Zatzman Sportsplex and Cole Harbour Place both have 30 minutes dressing room policies (Links coming soon)
- Zatzman Sportsplex, Cole Harbour Place
|Team Practice & Game Schedules
- Maintain an updated practice/ exhibition/ tournament/ events schedule in your team MEIFHA GrayJay site (or delegate to your Website Administrator). League games will populate automatically from the NSFHL website.
- MEIFHA Subscribe to your GrayJay Calendar
- Inform the Ice Scheduler of any league game conflicts, or necessary scheduling change, including which tournaments your team will be attending email@example.com
- Obtain League Game Sheets from the VP Administration, if reqired (There is a significant cost to game sheets so they are distributed on a limited basis).
- Prepare Game Sheet Sticker for tournaments and bring these to all games, HOME & AWAY. Please note the template is for Excel. Fill out the top left section and it will automatically fill the others. This template fits the Avery or Staples stickers: Shipping Labels 2 inch (5.08 cm) by 4 inch (10.16 cm)
- We will be using electronic scorekeeping with GrayJay. Some teams may still only have access to the system through the NSFHL site but hopefully all are using GrayJay this season.
- GrayJay Leagues Timekeeper Guide
- GrayJay Leagues Team Staff Guide
- Sign-off on your roster in GrayJay at least 5 minutes prior to the start of your games OR provide properly completed game sheet to the on-ice officials at least five minutes before each home game, as required.
- Keep a copy of all completed game sheets and track and report game results of all home games immediately after the game, if something goes wrong and the electronic system cannot be used.
- Game Scheduling & Forfetiture HNS Female cancellation Policy
- Travel permits: Use Hockey 3.0
|Team Volunteer Role Descriptions & Duties
Female Dressing Room Chaperones as per Policy #16.0 - Dressing Room Supervision
- Supervise players in the dressing room as outlined by Hockey Canada.
“A lone personnel member should never be in the dressing room with players at any time, especially when players are showering or changing: two adults should be present together, this is called the “Two Deep Method” of supervision. Supervising personnel must be members of the team staff or adults who have completed either “Speak Out” or the “Respect In Sport” for volunteers and have submitted their record checks (CRC] to their MHA. Parents of all players should be made aware of the “Two Deep Method” and avoid letting their children into unsupervised dressing rooms.”
- Develop a plan based on the approved team budget (Review MEIFHA Policy #20.0)
- Coordinate approved fundraising activities with parents & players
- Book an auction location early & apply for Lottery License(s) where applicable
- Seek sponsorship, if applicable
- Coordinate & order Team Banner, if applicable
- Coordinate with Team Apparel Coordinator to order Sponsor Bars, if applicable
- Track all ice provided to the team by the league & the association, in a spreadsheet
- Coordinate with the Manager & Coaches
- Arrange the purchase, sale & return of extra ice to the Ice Coordinator or other venues
- Familiarize yourself with the Procedures for Selling Ice 2023-2024
Jersey Carriers (Ideally, two, to lighten the load) Policy #23.0
- Hang jerseys to dry after each game
- Wash the jerseys as needed, hanging to dry
- All jerseys must be taken to EVERY game, just in case
- Whites are for Home games, Darks for Away
- Refer to Quick view Jersey Care & Keeping
Apparel Coordinator liaises with the Team Apparel Provider
- Arrange sizing, orders & pick-ups of Name & Sponsor bars, practice jerseys, game socks, helmet stickers, tracksuits & other Team Apparel & Swag where applicable. With the online store, your team may not require this volunteer this season.
Team Safety Rep *see above*
- Health checks, new safety guidelines due to COVID-19. ,
Tournament Coordinator - NSFHL Female Tournament Policy - MEIFHA Policy #11.0
- Tournament Registration at Coaches direction, provide payment info to Treasurer
- Inform the scheduler of tournaments you wil attend and any change in plans: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Team Roster required (contact our Registrar)
- Submit Travel Permit request (see above as we have not yet been instructd to use the HCR) through HCR 3.0, upon approval, copy to Manager.
- Book accommodations & arrange team meals or enlist volunteers to assist with this
- Updates & maintain the schedule and information on the team website(s)
- Request MEIFHA GrayJay© admin access, include team name email@example.com
|2023 - 2024 Age Divisions:
Minor hockey age division chart for the
||Age on Dec 31, 2023
|2017 or later
||*6 or under
|2023 - 2024 Levels of Play
Levels of Play in Nova Scotia Female Hockey have been updated for the upcoming season
*U18 Major Hockey League
Not all levels of play are offered by all Associations
Have a suggestion for something we missed or a tip you think we should share? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org